Vakantiehuis De Vorster Pastorie (Broekhuizenvorst) - Historical information

Historical information

History of Broekhuizenvorst

The former duchy named “Gelre” consisted of 4 parts. The three northern parts use to form “Neder-Gelre”, from which the province Gelderland was later formed. The southern part of this duchy was the 4th part of Gelre and was called “Opper-Gelre”. Geographically speaking these area’s aren’t connected, but together they are a part of the duchy Gelre (1).
Broekhuizenvorst was part of the part “Opper-Gelre”; this part was governmentally divided in 7 posts. Broekhuizenvorst was part of the post Kessel; a post situated on the left side of the river Maas. The country manor in this post were represented by the forest overseer of Kessel, the duke of Gelre himself. Broekhuizenvorst used to be governmentally connected to Swolgen. They had a common court of aldermen (who was responsible for the administrative tasks and was the ones whom passed judgement), under the chairmanship of the forest overseer of Kessel. In the post Kessel this position was performed in the 16th and in the first deccenia of the 17th century by a prominent dynasty the “Van Wittenhorst” family (1).
The duchy Gelre was contracted to the “Habsbursge empire” under the reign of Karel V. In 1572 both Neder-Gelre as Opper-Gelre actively took part in the resistance against the Spanish crown. At the end of the Eighty Years War the duchy Gelre was split at the Peace of Munster in 1648. Neder-Gelre was connected to the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands as the Dutch province Gelderland. The Opper-Gelre however was, during the period 1580-1590, connected to the Spanish Netherlands (aka the Southern Netherlands). At that time Opper-Gelre was divided in 8 post; Kessel, Geldern, Straelen, Wachtendonk, Kriekenbeek, Monfort, Middelaar and Erkelenz. With Venlo and Roermond as it’s most important cities (1).
The financial problems of the Spanish royal family in 1648 made the duke of Gelre sell the rights to a few manors. Around 1673 the manors Broekhuizenvorst, Swolgen, Kessel, Venray, Helden, Wanssum, Baarlo and Blerick from the post Kessel were redirected to the new lord. Through this sale François Guillaume de Fleming, lord of Aldenspech and Wymarck, became the first owner of both Broekhuizenvorst and Swolgen. In 1727 Broekhuizenvorst was sold to Hendrick Ignatius Schenk van Nydeggen, lord of Ooijen, which meant that Broekhuizenvorst and Swolgen gained their own court of aldermen. Next to the manor Broekhuizenvorst lay the manor Ooijen, which had it’s own court of aldermen. However in 1771 the court of aldermen van Broekhuizenvorst and Ooijen were combined (1).
Problems surrounding the Spanish air to the thrown at the beginning of the 18th century resulted in the Spanish Succession War (1701-1713). The end of this war fell together with the the Peace of Munster (1713), the Treaty of Rastatt (1714) and the Barrier tractate (1715). Due to this fact Opper-Gelre was divided under the king of Prussia, whom got the biggest share, that is the eastern side of the river Maas. This consisted of the posts and cities Geldern, Straelen, Wachtendonk, Kriekenbeek and Middelaar and the manors Arcen, Well and Afferden. Also the post and land of Kessel on the western side of the river Maas was owned by him. The rest was divided over the States-General of the Republic and the Austrian Habsburg emperor (1).
After the French armies came back in 1794 to take over the Southern Netherlands the French period started, which lasted for two decennia. After a few removal and replacement of old government in 1798 the Prussian Gelre became part of the department Roer, which meant the end of the courts of eldermen (1).
From 1800 Broekhuizenvorst, Ooijen and Broekhuizen were made into one local authority called Broekhuizen. Next the influence of the local authority and the courts of eldermen, there was also the influence from the church, namely the parsonage. Often the region of the parsonage coincided with that of the court of eldermen or the local authority. However Broekhuizenvorst and Ooijen were a exception. Even though Broekhuizenvorst and Swolgen had a combined court of eldermen (from 1729 onwards) and the manor Ooijen had their own separate court of eldermen, Swolgen was a separate parsonage. Broekhuizenvorst and Oijen formed a parsonage together. Also the manor Broekhuizen had it’s own court of eldermen and local authority. They only became a independent parsonage after separation of the parsonage Broekhuizenvorst in 1484 (1).
The name Broekhuizenvorst
The name Broekhuizenvorst is probably derived from the early medieval term “foreest”. A foreest was a hunting ground reserved for a lord, in a wide stretched village or estate (2). At first Broekhuizenvorst was only called “Vorst”, but in the 15th century they added the part “Broekhuizen”. The neighbour villages “Broekhuizen” and “ Broekhuizenvorst” had a good relationships with each other long before the name change. The churches of both villages formely were a part of each other; they were managed from the parsonage Broekhuizenvorst. In 1484 the churches were separated (2). All in all the place where you are staying now has a long history to it!
The arms of Broekhuizenvorst
The arms of Broekhuizenvorst consists of the messiah, who holds a globe in his left hand. These arms Broekhuizenvorst had up until the 30th of August 1651. When Broekhuizenvorst gained it’s own court of eldermen in 1727 this arms was also used (2).
 Reading list
1.      Retrieved from
2.      Retrieved from
3.      Retrieved from